Thursday, October 31, 2002

I love it ... Real Madrid loses at home to Rome 0-1

I mentioned last week that I was invited to attend the Champion League match up of Real Madrid versus Rome, and I also mentioned that it made me feel ill - as I am a loyal supporter of not the yuppie, Fascist-leaning Real Madrid white clad superstars, but of the everyman's team, Atletico de Madrid.

So what did I do?

Nothing. In the end I turned down the invite, and suggested that a colleague, who supports Real Madrid, attend. Of course he was excited, but I got the last laugh, as Real Madrid fell to Rome in an exhibition of how too many stars on a side not only is at the core anti-sport, but very rarely works.

Real Madrid, for those of you don't know, had the gall to hire an entire team with some of the current greatest players, in an attempt to not only stack the deck, but to garner more cash revenues from jersey sales, promotionals, and advertisments. What Real Madrid is doing really is a shame, especially for a team that has been voted the greatest football team of last century. Now, under Florentino Perez it isn't about playing classy football, but rather about money.

So how did the match go? Right from the start I have to say I didn't watch the entire match, that would be too much to stomach. Instead a few peeks at the tele during the match, and then the news highlights. But what I can tell you is that an overweight Ronaldo, who's slower than my grandma and is looking more and more like Chilavert in the last World Cup, had one nice shot at the goal. Even the ever-dangerous Raul is finding that you can't play 100 matches a year and stay young forever. Zidane and Figo, nada de nada.

Rome played typical Italian football - meaning, sitting back and waiting for the counter-attack, or what we used to call cherry-picking. Once they scored, it was just hanging out in the penalty area. Read, boring!

Somebody might also want to whisper in head coach Bosque's ear and remind him that in football, the team that makes the most goals, is the team that wins.

That little, obvious point, is going to be very important when Real Madrid travels to play Rome or any other matches, especially since this is the same Madrid team that hasn't won a single away league match in the last six months.

No comments: