Late Start, Navy League Ball
Very late start today, Saturday, as we had a very late night.
Last night was the kick-off of the Madrid autumn-winter Ball season. No not "ball" as in games, but as in gala, or formal dance. The first ball of the season, usually is the Navy League, to which Mrs. Gil and I went - she dressed in black-dress affair, with plenty of feathers, and myself with the tradional tuxedo.
The evening's event this year was celebrated in the Palace Hotel, where in the midst of tight security - at least 10 packed police vans - various US and foreign military dignitaries gathered for an enjoyable evening of drink, food, plenty of speeches and dance. And dance we did, until 4 am.
While the Navy League is a military affair, it's also a "lobby" group that seeks to improve, or maintain, business conduits between Spain and the U.S. That means, there were also attending various executives from US and Spanish companies - including Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, etc. - as well as venture capitalists, as well as an attorney or two. After all these years, I'm still trying to figure out how I figure in all this, since I've never been in the military - although when I was a young boy I did have a fascination with the Navy uniform - nor am I one of the rich and famous.
As said, the evening kicks-off the ball season. Under normal circumstances (read pre-9-11), the next would be the St. Georges' Ball, sponsored by the local Anglican church, the St. Andrew's Caledonian Ball in November, followed by various Christmas galas, to the Burns night at the turn of the year, then Carnival festivities, and usually ending with St.Patrick's Ball sponsored by the English speaking Roman Catholic Church, Our Lady of Mercy.
Last night was also very enjoyable for a very pleasant surprise. I was able to meet up with a friend of mine from years ago, who had moved away from Spain and was a member of St George's where I used to attend. What to my surprise, to find him back in Spain, also converted to the Roman Catholic Church, and like us with three children. Curious how life turns out sometimes.
Saturday, October 26, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment